Through my friend, One Badass Mother, I came across this great pattern for a very happy hippo, made out of African Flower patches. It's so smart and pretty. Of course I had to make one. No patience to wait for money to buy yarn, but I still had lots of "amigurimi cotton" in different colours. I picked some that would work well together, chose the colour I had most of as the joining colour and set to work. The african flower motives worked up quickly, joining them was a little bit more work. Yesterday I finished the crochet work, so first thing this morning I went to the local hobby store to buy polyfill and a cute set of eyes for my hippo.
When I was done filling and stitched on the final part, I realised I might have put too little filling in the legs, but apart from that little thing, I think my hippo turned out lovely. It had to, the pattern is very well written, with lots of pictures to clarify all the steps you take to chrochet the hippo together. Very pleased with it.
Here's a link to the pattern on Ravelry, should you want your own Happypotamus.
And I have already bought the next pattern from this designer. A cute bear.